Sunday, January 9, 2011

Mindless Musings

Because it is still the weekend (and my brain doesn't feel like working today), I have decided to post some random musings. Enjoy!

1.  I purchased an iPad today.

I am a techno junkie. I love technology! I think it would be awesome to be the person who tests out new devices (like iPads and iPhones) and gives advice on how to make it better. Because of my love for technology, it is shocking to me that I didn't purchase an iPad when it first came onto the scene. Why in the world was I waiting? I guess I didn't really understand why I would need an iPad when I already had a laptop, iPhone, and iPod.

The last few months, I have become intrigued with eReaders. I never purchased an eReader previously because I wasn't impressed by the Kindle (it doesn't have a backlight. Why would an electronic device specially designed for book reading not have a backlight? Craziness, I tell ya!) and I love the feel of a paper book in my hands. When I went on vacation, I began reading a book that was at the house where we stayed. Because I wanted to read it on the flight home, I went to both Borders in town to purchase the book, and neither one had it. This began my desire for an eReader; I could purchase the book, download it immediately, and begin reading it. On the flight home, I was the only (ONLY!) person who had the light on to read a book (we were on a night flight). All the cool people had eReaders. I was crushed! The more I started researching eReaders, the greater their appeal. Finally, a few days ago, I walked into Barnes and Noble and discovered the NOOKcolor. That was it. That was the final straw. I HAD to own an eReader. Because I really wanted an iPad, I didn't see the point in purchasing a NOOKcolor, only to spend lots more on an iPad.

Today, I walked into Best Buy (BB) to return something; I walked out with an iPad. I am so excited about it! The only drawback to it is that the iPad 2 is coming soon. I am TOTALLY getting the new iPad as soon as it hits the market. (I purchased the buy-back plan from BB, where I get a decent percentage of my money back from the iPad I purchased today to upgrade to the new one (50% back if the iPad 2 enters the market in the next 6 months.) I can't wait to start using it! (I would be using it now, except the screen protector from BB is terrible and it's driving me crazy! Sounds like an Apple Store trip is coming soon. Plus, the Apple Store will apply the screen protector for me.) I already know the first book I am downloading--that book from vacation! I need a beach read!

2.  I am doing the Bible in a Year plan.

Lately, I have been bothered by the fact that I have been a Christian for a very long time (20 years, at least. I actually don't remember a time in my life when I didn't believe that Jesus died on the cross for my sins. 20 years ago is when I walked down the aisle at church and was baptized.) and I haven't read through the entire bible. What a shame! I find it very disappointing, so this year I am reading it! I decided on reading the bible in chronological order (in the order the events occurred, according to recent historical research). I have finished reading the first 11 chapters of Genesis; now I am in the book of Job (just finished chapter 16). Really?? Job? The most depressing book in the bible and this is next up on the list? I just finished reading how the entire world was wiped out (Noah's Ark), and now I have to read about Job's troubles? This is too much for me to handle! Fortunately, one of my favorite bloggers is doing the same Bible in a Year plan I am. (His name is Jon Acuff. His blog can be found at www.stuffchristianslike.net and his Twitter name is @jonacuff. You should definitely take a look at his blog and follow him on Twitter. He cracks. me. up!) He did a blog post on "Comparing Our Situations to Job." It was pretty funny but it brought up a great point that nothing in my life I find troubling can even come close to what Job endured. He also tweeted on the fact that we don't really associate the name Nimrod (in Gen. 10) with a "mighty hunter before the Lord" as in biblical times. This Bible in a Year plan just got interesting!

3.  My trainer FORCED me to do the StairClimber at the gym on Friday.

At the end of my workout with him, he decided I should attempt the StairClimber. What?!?! Are you serious? Me?? On the StairClimber??? I don't plan on climbing Mount Everest! I don't plan on going to the Great Wall of China any time soon. Why do I need to do the StairClimber? Apparently he wasn't kidding with me because next thing I knew I was climbing some stairs. I actually lasted longer on the machine than I thought, but it still wasn't very long. My knees were definitely achy later that evening. I have decided that this is my new challenge.

4.  I love romance-comedy.

Whether it's books or movies, I am obsessed with rom-com. It makes me so happy! In fact, because there are no football games on tv this evening, I have a rom-com on right now. There is enough drama going on in this world, why would I want to spend time watching it on my tv or reading about it in a book? Rom-com is light, funny, and always has happy, romantic endings. What is there to not love about that!?!!

5.  I love music.

I love music! Love! Love! Love! Music makes my world go round. I get so excited when it's time to listen to my music library. There is so much FANTASTIC music to listen to that I don't even know where to begin! Thanks to iTunes, I can find all kinds of music (without having to purchase an entire album each time). What's even better about iTunes is every time I purchase new songs, "genius recommendations" introduces me to more new music (and new bands). (Genius recommendations is a section in iTunes which recommends music based off the music in your library. If you haven't tried it yet, you should! It's pretty awesome!)  Because I love music so much, I plan on creating quite a few posts about music. Maybe you will share with me your playlists and music loves!

With all this talk of music, I need to mess around on iTunes now. I have some new music (and iPad apps) to download.

Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment