Sunday, January 2, 2011

A New Start

I have always liked New Year's. It marks an opportune time for reevaluation of what's going on in my life and what I'd like to continue or change. With a new year comes a new list I get to create, full of goals I hope to accomplish. (As a list maker, this excites me like you wouldn't believe!)

My New Year's resolutions list looks like a power point presentation. I usually have a main goal followed by bullet points underneath to show how I am going to accomplish it. What's the point of setting goals if there is no plan of action? This year, my list has a few additions to it, which excites me! I'm definitely ready to see what God has in store for me this upcoming year.

Here are a few of my resolutions for 2011 (Note: this is a simplified list of what I have already created. Scary, I know):

1. Lose Weight/Gain Muscle (start date: October 9, 2010)

A.  Continue training with personal trainer

  1. This leads to the category of FITastic, where I will be posting about my fitness endeavors. You will get a kick out of these posts, I'm sure. With weight loss and personal trainers comes fantastic, drama-filled adventures that are begging to be told!

  2. Quit whining when told to do horrible things such as side planks, squats, and the like. (I cross the line at jumping jacks. There is absolutely no way I am doing the hideous jumping jack, EVER!)


B.  Continue with eating appropriate amount of calories to further advance my weight loss/muscle building

  1. Create weekly menus to ensure diet is balanced (and appropriate groceries are purchased)

  2. Increase protein intake (as set by personal trainer)

  3. Cook more and incorporate a variety of different foods so boredom doesn't derail efforts. (It will be much easier to have a healthy lifestyle when I'm able to cook decent, healthy meals.) This will be accomplished with the use of cookbooks, online recipes, and overachieving friends who love to cook yummy food and always have great ideas!


C.  Continue with setting daily, weekly, and monthly goals

D.  Increase water intake to at least 64 oz. per day (and don't even ask how much my trainer wants me to drink. It makes me laugh every time I think about it.)

2.  Deepen my Christian walk with God

A.  Read the entire bible in 365 days. (I'm going to go in either chronological or canonical order.)

B.  Get more involved with church activities

  1. Talk with College Ministries leader about starting a bible study or helping out with Sunday School

  2. Volunteer with different projects or activities the church offers

  3. Attend women's bible study offered by church


C.  Attend weekly bible study with the girls (which will be starting back up again in the next few weeks. Yay!)

D.  Create a bible study (which will be a new challenge for me, as I have never done anything like this previously.)

3. Spend less, Save more

A.  Set up direct deposit to savings account and deposit 10% of paycheck

B.  Pay off vehicle (which will definitely happen this year! This will open up quite a bit more money to go into savings.)

C.  Be more mindful of where I'm spending my money (focusing on activities and things I love as opposed to the everyday stuff which has much less meaning.)

4.  Spend more time doing activities I love

  • Spend more time with family and friends

  • Attend more concerts and shows

  • Drive more (road trips, anyone?)

  • Perform random acts of kindness

  • Blogging (yay!), twitter, and facebook

  • Read more books (join a book club?)


5.  Create house project folder

  • I am wanting to have a house built sometime in the near future (hopefully by next year), and I need to have a plan in place. Because I am indecisive, I need to start preparing now.


6.  Find a hobby

  • Could this be the year I learn to speak another language? Play the guitar? Create a new organizational planner design that will outdo Franklin Covey? We'll see!


As you can see, my list of resolutions is pretty, um...extensive, and this isn't even the full list! It's going to be a great year and I'm anxious to get started!

What about you? What are your New Year's resolutions?









3 comments:

  1. SO excited for you! Love the blog already and can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never say never! I believe there will come a day when you have reached your weight loss goal and you will find yourself doing jumping jacks without hesitation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have enjoyed reading your blog...I really liked your new years resolutions for this year...hopefully you will accomplish everything you have set out to acheieve.

    ReplyDelete